3 Things Sabotaging Your Diet and How to Fix Them
You are motivated, ready to lose fat and get in great shape for that event coming up, you’re ready to put some focus on improving yourself and to see sustainable long-lasting RESULTS! So you buckle down, start eating “clean” foods and 2 weeks later are right back where you started! Soooooo frustrating and this happens ALL THE TIME!
Let’s dive into the reasons WHY and what’s going on that is making this process darn near impossible for you and so many others and what you can do TODAY to prevent them.
MISTAKE 1: Not Setting Your Goal Up Properly
This goes beyond basic goal setting which is what most people do. Goal setting is KEY however so let’s review how to properly set up your goals using the SMART model and then go DEEPER. The SMART model is:
SPECIFIC: Be sure that your goal is clearly defined
MEASUREABLE: How will you measure your goal? At MacroMissionary we measure our clients’ physique goals with progress pictures, performance goals with whatever performance metric they want to improve on and quality of life goals with a daily journal.
ACHIEABLE: Is the goal achievable & realistic?
RELEVANT: How important is achieving the goal?
TIME BOUND: When is the deadline to accomplish the goal?
Here are examples of the wrong way and right way to set up your SMART goal:
- Wrong: I wanna lose weight, have better energy, and run a marathon sometime this year
- Right: I want to lose 5 lbs of bodyfat by my 40th birthday in 2 months to look my best for our planned vacation at the same time.
Here is where first mistake occurs. We set up SMART goals and then move on. Setting up the goal is only the first 1/3 of the process. You must go DEEPER!!!
Find Your WHY
Why is this goal important to you? Dig into the depths of your soul and really thing about why you truly want to accomplish this. A few questions to help determine your why statement are: Why now? What are the benefits once I accomplish my goal? What are the consequences if I do not achieve my goal? Write down your why once you define it, you will need it. Some powerful WHY statements we have seen are:
“because I want to reach my true potential” “because I am sick of wondering what if” “because I deserve better” “because I can”
Goal Dedication-For Whom
Now we are getting somewhere but again we have to go DEEPER. Although this final step is optional and not ALWAYS necessary, we find it to be the most powerful. This goes beyond yourself and can branch out of you why. This is where you explore how reaching your goal benefits OTHERS. It can be a foundation, honoring a specific person, or even dedicated to a higher power. Some powerful examples we have seen are:
• Dedicating reaching the goal to a higher power (this was a 40 day challenge that a member dedicated to God for blessing their life)
• Getting sponsors to donate to a cause for every pound lost or milestone reached
• Dedicating the goal to people who have been influential in your life. Honoring them by dedicating the process to them
• To be the best role model to your children or family
As you can see by going beyond simple SMART goal setting we get much deeper and it goes beyond a goal, we have now established a CAUSE!
MISTAKE 2 Starting A DIET Instead Of A Lifestyle
We see this all the time. People establish their goals and set up a diet plan of eating the same flavorless foods of chicken, broccoli, and brown rice with a protein shake in between. Even for those with very strong will power and who have set up themselves for success, this is not SUSTAINABLE, realistic, or required. The statistics are staggering on weight loss; over 88% of people who use these types of “diets” gain the weight back plus additional bodyfat. This leads to HUGE psychological ramifications. A lifestyle and education was never established and the end results are devastating. Most people never make it to the goal to begin with using this approach and again those that do yo-yo right back up.
Now the point of this article is not to debate why we think the macronutrient based approach is best nor discredit any other approach so here is the simple solution. Ask yourself CAN I OR WILL I EAT THIS WAY THE REST OF MY LIFE? If the answer is YES then you will be successful in obtaining your goal whether it be Vegan, Keto, Paleo, or our personal preference Macronutrient based.
Finding a sustainable plan that fits your lifestyle is absolutely critical in your success. A few things to consider are:
- Does your approach allow for flexibility in your meal timing? For example, if you are very busy and work 12 hour shifts then an approach that makes you eat every 3 hours may not fit your lifestyle
- Does the plan prohibit foods that you love labeling them as “bad”?
- Do you like a lot of variety and flavor or cook with a lot of spices and the plan you’re considering looks bland?
- Does the plan prohibit certain food groups that you enjoy? If so are you willing to give up the foods or entire food group for LIFE?
MISTAKE 3 Lack Of Accountability
Accountability & coaching are huge in seeing success, especially when the goal is very personal and important to us. Many times when the first 2 phases are set up we need a PLAN that is periodically adjusted by someone with an objective mindset who’s not as emotionally invested as we are.
Often times people believe that they can go alone or do not need accountability and end up second guessing every decision along the way which really throws them off course on their journey.
You can get accountability in a variety of ways
- Establish a buddy system with a friend or family member
- Commit to daily or weekly check ins on a public forum, message board, or social media outlet
- Hire a coach to set up your plan, coach you along the way, and provide accountability
Most of the time the best players are the ones who need the most coaching, not necessarily for the technical aspects but mainly for the emotional & psychological components. Fat loss is not linear and a lot of explanation, encouragement, and support is required along the way to be successful. The mind games can really get to even the most devoted and steadfast individuals. At MacroMissionary we have 2 specific coaches
who purely focus on the emotional & spiritual side of eating and nutrition. Food is part of almost any celebration, event, and a go to in dealing with stress for many people. Having professionals trained to listen and work through those issues should never be underestimated.
We hope this was beneficial information for you. If you feel that having a team of trained professionals take you through this process and our 4 Phases of properly executing a nutrition plan then email email@example.com today to start your journey!